Are you sick of ingrown hairs and the imminent pain of waxing?
Are you fed up with the consistent up keep of waxing and in between growth?|
Are you over the being a slave to the razor?
Have you heard about IPL hair reduction?
At Vitruvius Divine we pride ourselves on being able to provide cosmetic solutions to historical problems.
What is IPL?
IPL or Intense Pulse Light is a technology designed to inhibit the growth of hair follicles. “Light is used for hair removal passes through the skin and absorbed by the pigment within the hair follicle.” (1) After the area has been treated, hairs will begin to fall out.
The IPL procedure produces a flash of filtered light, which is absorbed by the pigment melanin. The heated hair then absorbs the light pulse which is transferred to surround cells and the result denatures the cells. The process on the cells results in the inability to produce further hair growth. (2)
People with white skin and dark black hair will experience the best results from IPL. Olive skin and light hair seems to have reduced results but improvements in technology have allowed the procedure to be more successful. Before the initial treatment our highly trained clinicians will assess and tailor the IPL treatment to suit your skin and hair colour.
How long to the treatments take?
Treatments take anywhere between 15 – 30 minutes depending on the areas treated. We recommend about 6-8 sessions to begin with, and then a follow up once or twice a year. Patients will begin to see results of 30-40% after the first treatment.
Is it painful?
IPL is relatively painless. Most patients experience a quick pulse during each other their treatments. But the basic rule is the less hair, the less pulses. We have a variety of post-treatment skin lotions to soothe your skin.
- Upper lip
How to prepare for treatments:
- No waxing/using depilatory creams/electrolysis at least 6 weeks prior
- Avoid tanning 4-6 weeks prior
- Feel free to continue shaving 2-3 days before, leave a little growth for evaluation
- For the next 24hours avoid any form of heat or sweat (as it may cause irritation)
- Avoid if possible sun exposure to IPL areas (including tanning beds)
- Cover areas with sunscreen for extra protection during the course of treatment
** More information will be provided at the time of consultation. RESULTS WILL VARY.
1) Scheicher, S.M. MD., 2004, Skin Sense: A Dermatologist’s Guide to Skin and Facial Care, iUniverse, p37